Saturday, August 16, 2008

And miles to go before I sleep..

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep;
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep;"

This for me are the four most beautiful lines that describe the human life in the present world. But I take it with a pinch of salt. Back in IITM, where I first heard these lines, I took these lines as trivial as each individual has some responsibilities to live upto.. But as I move on, I realise that the deep and dark woods signifies the more promises we make as we move on. So, this game of moving on and fulfilling the promises never ends. To give you an example, I thought doing well in my undergrad was a promise I had to keep when I first heard this quote. But now, I need to repeat it for my grad and later on in my job.. And to the family.. The count can just be unlimited. The humans are stuck in this cob web where, the more you get, the more you need to get.. The more you deliver, the more you are expected to deliver.. After all it takes just two meals a day and a close circle to be happy. We will find that the people in the lower strata of the community quite adhere to this. But as we move up the strata, we become more greedy, me expect more, we sleep less and we are less happy. Its not what I am saying. You can have a look around you. Personally, I dont remember when was the last time I slept without knowing when I had to get up. That for me is slavery, where you are a puppet in the hands of the materialistic world. Guys, there is life more than money.. the promises you need to keep are those you made to yourself and no one else..

No comments: